Thursday, April 16, 2009

When it rains, it pours!

Ironically, the title does not describe this day. It is going to be a beautiful day! Sunny and in the 60's. Spring has finally sprung. Other news is not as bright though. Yesterday it struck in 3's.
I have been struggling with my insurance company to pay some medical bills I have from my thyroid condition, hypothyroidism. It was diagnosed about 2 years ago, maybe a little less, but after my divorce I didn't have medical coverage, so didn't see the doctor for treatment. Although he didn't want to see me without the medication so he continued to extend the prescription for me. As much as I appreciated that, it seems it is coming back to haunt me. My new insurance company with the company I work for had said that it would not cover a pre-existing condition that I had seen the doctor for in the 6 months prior to my employment. Well, although I had not seen the doctor, because I am taking the medicine they consider that my pre-existing condition. I found this out yesterday. Then around noon my dautghter calls to inform me that the tuition assistance she has been receiving is only for the Fall-Winter semesters. The Spring and Summer semesters won't be covered. And to top everything off, she called me again last night after she had hit a deer in her car. It had to be towed home. She didn't get hurt, for which I am very thankful, but her car is undriveable. The fender got crunched in, one light is smashed, the bumber is bent in. Apparently the radiator got punctured so the engine was overheating. That is the only reason she couldn't drive the car home and had to have it towed. I don't know how bad the radiator is damaged. But there was a good thing that happened. Apparently where my daughter had her accident was right in front of some really nice people. They were "well-to-do", if you know what I mean. VERY nice home. Well, it seems they have AAA and used it to call the towing company and have my daughters car towed home. That was very kind of them. (By the way, the deer in the picture wasn't hurt, just got to go for a little ride) So I don't know what we are going to do about that. I don't know what I am going to do about any of this. I can't afford to keep paying for medical coverage for my thyroid condition out of my pocket. Heck, I don't know how I'm going to pay the bills I have now that the insurance company is not going to cover. My ex and I have a little set aside for the childrens education but it won't go far. Ugh. I can't help but think of my favorite quote at times like this - "I know God won't give me more than I can handle, I just wish He didn't trust me so much."

5 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

I pray you'll get some good news in threes to balance things out a bit.
We started with a new health insurance this past November. It does not allow surgeries for any pre-existing conditions for one year. Our daughter has terrible sinus problems, and is in need of another sinus surgery. She will have to wait until her Christmas break from college in order to get it done. She really needs to have it this summer over her break, but we can't afford it. I can feel your pain when it comes to medical costs and needs.
I am thankful your daughter was not hurt when she hit a deer. We've had a lot of car repairs in the past year, and it was really been hard financially.
I pray God will help you find ways to pay for college and car repairs, and help you get what you need for your health.

Boomer Chick said...

Write a letter to the President. I know that sounds so over the wall, but it's people like you he loves to touch, he just has to find them. My God, Pat, this is horrible that you have to go through something like this. The U.S. has some shitty medical and insurance policies.

Libby said...

yeah, insurance sucks. that's why my husband and i are still married (on paper!) and he lives with his girlfriend. it sucks, but whatta you do? i'm not married to him, i'm married to anthem blue cross/blue shield!
i'm so glad brit wasn't hurt!

Susie said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Good medical care is something that should be available to everyone. Sadly, that just isn't the case..
hugs

Doug Bagley said...

How does that song go? "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all ..." Join the club sister, LOL