Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Recipe time again - Not just 'grilled pork chops"

Okay, time for another recipe. Tried this yesterday and not quite sure what makes it so good but it makes all the difference in the world. I despise dry pork chops, but these come out so moist and tasty I don't think I'll fix them any other way again. I've marinated meats many times but this is a brine. Don't ask me. I just followed the recipe and they were great!

Brined Grecian Pork Chops

1/2 c. kosher salt
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
2 c. hot water
12 crushed black peppercorns
1 lg. onion, unpeeled and quartered
3 bay leaves
3 cups very cold water or ice
4 bone-in pork chops at least 1-inch thick
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
(or 1 Tbsp. crushed dried)
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

1. Dissolve salt and sugar in hot water. Add peppercorns, onion, bay leaves and cold water or ice.
2. Place pork chops in a large nonreactive container or extra-large resealable plastic bag. Cover with brine and allow to brine at least 1 1/2 hours but not longer than 3 hours. (Thinner chops will require less time.)
3. In a small bowl, combine garlic, lemon zest and juice, pepper, rosemary and olive oil. Mash together with the back of a spoon.
4. Preheat grill to high heat.
5. Remove chops from brine. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub with lemon-herb paste allowing some to adhere. Grill 2-3 minutes per side to sear. Reduce heat or move to cooler section of the grill and continue grilling 8-10 minutes per side.
6. Remove from grill and tent with foil. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.

I honestly didn't think that something like this would do a whole lot, but they really were good. You just have to try for yourself. Hope you enjoy as much as my family and I did!

3 comments:

Saia said...

opposed to any veggies recipies? : )

4evergapeach said...

saia....Not at all! Have a great one I'll post for ya! Thanks for visiting!

Katie McKenna said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds interesting so I shall send it to my girls.They are finally learning how to cook and bake. I'm a vegetarian myself. However, I've always been curious and have enjoyed studying the various ways of cooking.