Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Alaska (Part II)

(day 3 cont.) After arriving in Homer we checked in with our charter for the next day, did some more shopping in the gift shops, then checked into our cabin. Went to bed fairly early since we had to catch our boat at 6:30 a.m.

Day 4 - Wednesday Bright and early we caught our boat, The Whistler, a 50' fishing boat, and headed out to sea. Weather was cloudy and threatening rain, but at least waters were calm. It was about an hour and a half ride out to the spot where we were going to fish. On board was our group of 7 and another couple from TX. Then there was the captain and 2 deck hands. I wish I had gotten a picture of them. One of them was a gorgeous girl named Brittany. Not one you would guess doing a job like this. She is working during the summer to help pay for medical school come this fall. But she certainly knew what she was doing. She was raised on a fishing boat. Anyway once we arrived at our fishing spot and threw out the anchor, we were baited up and started fishing. We moved around a couple of times, the deepest water I think was about 150'. That's a LONG way to haul a 30+lb fish up. My arms were so tired. My son caught the biggest of the family. His was 47 lb's. He brought it in all by himself too. He was so proud!

Well, I have started this at least half dozen times, so I need to just make this short and sweet.....We ended up with about 100lb's of fish (after fileting and cleaning) that was shipped home. We all had a great time fishing, despite the rainy weather. The picture of fish are some of the larger ones we caught. The largest was 97 lb's, caught by the man from TX (Those Texans have to do everything in a BIG way...LOL)My son's was the 2nd largest.

After taking care of shipping the fish we headed back to Anchorage to catch a 1 a.m. flight out. Slight problem here though. Have any of you noticed something? We have already checked out of our cabin, we have been fishing all day, now we have to go catch a plane? We look and SMELL horrid! Luckily there was a laundrymat that rented out showers in Homer. So we stopped and all got showered and cleaned up. Made it back just in time to turn in rental, got to the airport, caught plane and slept. At least as much as we could. I can't sleep on planes, so I just dozed in and out. And now we are back home safe and sound.
Sorry so choppy here at the end, but I am tired and if I don't finish this up a few people are going to have my head. Alaska truly is an awsome and beautiful state! I highly recommend going if you ever get the chance. See y'all


Sue said...

Glad you enjoyed Alaska! We enjoyed our trips there, but didn't do any fishing!

Sheets said...

Hurray for you! Hope you had a great time! What kind of fish was that

chesneygirl said...

Wow! those are some MASSIVE fish!

Glad you had a great time and what a great experience for your kids too!

I know of another gorgeous girl named Brittany! ;)

Renee said...

Sounds like a really fun, adventurous trip! And those ARE some huge fish. How fun!

Libby said...

peach- these are GREAT pictures, and what great memories for your kids!! especially your son, who caught the big fish! that had to make him feel wonderful!!

janice said...

wow - that was quite a trip!!

I am in Canada on the pacific coast and used to go fishing with my dad. We never caught such big ones though. I think my biggest was 30 lbs.

Glad you had such a great time. I am new here - just hopped over from Suzy's.

Doug Bagley said...

Man, that is soooo beautiful up there. I have to go there some day.
Sounds like y'all had a great time.

McSwain said...

Great pictures! Who's who?

Rachel said...

What a wonderful trip!! I'd love to go someday. So nice you got to go. That is some big fish!!

Dorothy said...

Wow...when did you go to Alaska! I haven't checked in my friend's blogs in so long and am playing catch up but look at what I missed! Sounds like you had a marvelous trip! And nice fish!!!!