Friday, August 11, 2006

A taste of home

There are many things I miss about home, but right up there at the top is the food. Southern food is the best! Biscuits & gravy, grits, BBQ, country fried steak. I could go on and on, but the ONE thing I have really missed is Hot Boiled Peanuts. There was this small vegetable stand right at the end of our road that sold them in a brown paper bag. Every year we knew that summer had finally started when we saw the sign out for 'hot boiled peanuts'.

I decided the other day that I just HAD to have some! So off to the store I went to buy some raw peanuts and salt. Once home I started the burner out in the driveway, put water and salt in the pot, brought it to a boil, added peanuts and waited........

They have to cook 4-6 hours (at least). I could smell them in the air! Finally....


They were SO good! I think I may open a little stand at the end of my driveway. I'll let y'all know when to start looking for the sign.

9 comments:

chesneygirl said...

I'm waiting. SERIOUSLY!!
I love love LOVE peanuts...in any form! ::mouth watering::

Renee said...

I don't like peanuts, or any kind of nuts really, but I'm with you on the southern food!! woo-hoo!

Susie said...

I love nuts of any type. Never heard of these though! Must be a southern thing!!

Libby said...

wow, i never had the guts to actually try any of 'em, but i've always seen signs for them in myrtle beach, texas, florida, ih, anywhere they have grits! (which i've never tried either!)

Rachel said...

I have never had them like this but I saw Paula Deen cook some up on the Food Network. She's about as southern as they come I think. I'll have to try this sometime. You have made me want to try it!
I love biscuits, gravy, and grits too. Yum yum yum!!

Yep, I'd stop and buy some peanuts at the end of your driveway!!

Rachel said...

How much salt do you put in??

Curious Servant said...

I've never even heard of them!

Anonymous said...

I love peanuts, but have never had them boiled. Might have to try that sometime.

Anonymous said...

This sounds great....it would be a great food to sell at the county fair (which we just returned from in MONTANA!!)