Monday, September 04, 2006

Cup of coffee anyone?

Seeing as how my site is called what it is (Caffeine Pit Stop), I have to share this story with you. Besides, it's absolutely hilarious!

One evening while my husband and I were out, my son, the oldest, decides he wants some coffee. Where this urge came from I have no idea, but he proceeds to make a pot for himself.

My coffee pot is a Cuisinart that my husband got me for Christmas a couple years ago. It is the kind that grinds the beans and then brews the coffee. It brews it into a metal thermas caraffe, as opposed to a glass one that sits on a heating element and 'cooks' the coffee. This keeps the coffee hot and fresh. One of the features of this coffee maker is that you can take the pot out while it is still brewing and the coffee stops dripping while the pot is out. Most of you are probably familiar with how this works, but a brief explantation is that the lid on the pot, while sitting in the machine, presses a button up in the brew basket releasing the coffee. When the pot is removed the button closes preventing coffee from dripping out. Keep this in mind.

So, back to my story.......

My son calls me on my cell and is a bit upset. Apparently he thinks he has broken my coffee machine. He explains to me that he twice tried making a pot of coffee and coffee flowed all over the counter. Both times he had to clean this up. I asked him what he did and he explained how he made it and I saw nothing wrong. So, over the phone, I went step by step with him in making a new pot. When I told him to make sure there was no coffee in the pot and to place it in position, making sure the lid was screwed on tight, he stopped me...."You mean the lid is supposed to be ON?" I said "yes" then, realizing what he had done, I absolutely died laughing out loud right there in the resturant on my phone. I was in tears. He figured the lid had to be off for the coffee to drip into the pot. Well, I guess you get the picture.

Poor kid. Having to clean that mess up twice. Well, he now knows how to make coffee.

Actually a cup right now sounds good. I have some flavored beans called 'Surfing Safari' that I got from my coffee club - boca java. It's heaven! It's vanilla, kahlua and caramel flavored.

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend and wishing you a great week!

Back again....one of my all time favorite videos!

5 comments:

chesneygirl said...

That is quite funny!
Poor guy...he'll probably never want a cup of java again!!

Have a great short work week! :)

David said...

Got a good laugh out of this one. Hey we all have to learn Mom.

Rachel said...

LOL! What a mess to have to clean up!! I'll bet he was awed when he made the pot without the mess!

LZ Blogger said...

I can relate to this story from both the son and the parent's perspective! ~ jb///

Doug Bagley said...

reminds me of using Karo syrup for cooking oil to make popcorn. Not a pretty sight.