Friday, March 13, 2009

Choices

I do apologize. My postings have been anything but interesting and exciting. This must account for my low readership. I have a creative talent for many things, but writing isn't one of them. (And you don't want to hear me sing!) It doesn't help that not much is going on in my life except for work. As much as working 4 days on and having 4 days off sounds great, it has it's dissadvantages. On a typical work day let me break down 24 hr's for you. 12 of them are at work, that leaves 12. A good nights sleep is supposed to contain 8 hrs. 12-8=4. It takes me approx an hour to get to work and another to go home. This includes stopping for coffee, gas, milk...etc. Ok, so...we are down to 2 hrs. It takes me about an hour to get ready for work and this leaves me with 1 hour to clean up the kitchen, throw in a load of laundry, check email, blogs, facebook, etc...As you can imagine I don't normally get the recommended amount of sleep. So by the time my days off come around it takes me at least 2 days to recuperate, then get caught up on everything I needed to do. Well before I know it, it's time to go back to work. So as you can see I'm in a bit of a rut. An opportunity has presented itself that I initially thought I would hate, but the more I think about it, the more it may not be so bad. My new 'swing' shift is changing to a 10a.m - 8 p.m. shift Mon - Thurs. Every Fri, Sat and Sun off. At first hearing about it I could do nothing but think how awful it would be, but seeing as how I won't have much of a choice I decided to try and see the better side of it. I could mope, complain and choose to be miserable, or I could choose to take advantage of what it does have to offer. I would have the same days off so I could participate in a regular activity if I choose. Weekends are nice. Fridays give me a business day to get things done. Every Friday at a nearby golf course they have a couples deal where you play alternating shots or best ball. I could go to the church I like regularly and get to know people and participate in things. It may not be so bad at all. It always helps to look at things from a sunnier side, and I do believe most things have a sunny side. You just have to choose to see it.
How do you choose to see it? Take the poll at the right. :)

6 comments:

Libby said...

pat, i voted, but it still says theres no votes! anyway, i said half full...life looks better that way, doesnt it? :-)

4evergapeach said...

yes, it does Libby! And your vote showed up! Thanks!

Barb said...

Pat, personally I would prefer the three day weekend, same days off every week. But then, I tend to like things orderly and routine. Your current schedule sounds exhausting!! I voted, half full :)

Susie said...

That schedule sounds a bit draining to me, but having a business day off is a good thing.
I voted (half full)
xo

chesneygirl said...

I think having the weekends off every week would be AWESOME!

...I don't work weekends, which means you and I could get together some weekend now! :)

MissKris said...

I try to see it half full. This past year was so tough on our family it was a real challenge, but outside of being crazy-busy all the time, Life is really very, very good. My neighbor is a medical assistant who's worked the 10-hour days shift with Mondays off for years and loves them. My brother is in corrections and has the 4 on, 4 off schedule. He likes it because it allows him to do a lot of traveling. It seems like he's gone more than he's home, ha! Right now, with the economy what it is, I guess any of us should be thankful for whatever kinds of jobs we have. So many don't have one.