Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The good old days.....


Had a really neat thing happen to us today. An older gentleman came knocking at our door and introduced himself. (I feel bad that I've already forgotten his name). It seems he is a retiree from Ford Motor Co., or Ford's as they would say it, and knows our neighbor who is also a retiree from the same company. He says that he understands that my husband is a mechanic with Northwest Airlines and is currently out of work. We confirm that and he replies that he has some fresh squash, butternut and spagetti, and onions from his garden and asks if we would like some. Now, I have to tell you, quite a few thoughts ran threw my mind. And I am embarrassed to admit the order that they came in. My first thought was "Geez, we're not poor, and how do I tell this nice man this" but then I realized the nice thing to do would be to accept this man's generous offering. We are not struggling, at least not yet. There may come a day when I may be praying for strangers to come to my door to offer me food. I'm not afraid to tell you that I am terribly ashamed with myself. There was a time when one family fell on hard times, neighbors pitched in and provided what they could. Be it food from the garden, milk from their cow, or eggs from their chickens (those that LAYED eggs...hee...hee...*personal joke*). I don't know how or when I put myself up on some pedestal thinking that I am too good to need or accept help from others. Thinking back on this event I realize that this older gentleman, not knowing me from Adam, may have been offering me what he might be selling to support himself and his family. What ever his circumstances, it was a truly thoughtful, selfless, act of kindness that has made me take a second look at my life, bring me back down to earth and thank God for all of the blessings I have.

8 comments:

Doug Bagley said...

Oh wow! Love the music playing from your blog!
Your post reminded me of a good lesson. Many times it's the little things we do for others that mean the most and refresh our belief in humanity. Thanks for sharing

Doug Bagley said...

PS
Who's the singer and the name of the song? Now that is good old country music.

Doug Bagley said...

PS
Who's the singer and the name of the song? Now that is good old country music.

4evergapeach said...

Doug ~ That's Tim McGraw singing "Live Like You Were Dying" It is a wonderful song isn't it? Won many awards. Thanks for visiting!

Cheryl said...

There were so many times that God took care of my family like this when I was growing up.

Butternut squash soup... with apples. YUM!!

DBFrank said...

God takes care of even the sparrow. The honor is in the giving, the blessing is in the receiving with honor. You done good.
Blessings to you and yours!

chesneygirl said...

Somehow I missed this yesterday.

Anyway, if that day ever comes when you're needing a stranger to come by with food...I'll be there! Although, I guess i'm not a stranger anymore tho, huh? :)

Whoever heard of a chicken that didn't lay eggs anyhow?!?! ;)

Doug Bagley said...

Hey Miss Georgia Peach 4 Ever,
Thanks for the tip on the singer, only, it was a lady singing, LOL.
Enjoyed your "clothes-line" thoughts. We're still hot down here.